Dart sails through while five seeds falter at Ilkley
20 June 2018
Day four of the Fuzion 100 Ilkley Trophy saw five of the top eight seeds fall during the day, with three Brits also in action in a tough ITF Pro Circuit first round.
Wednesday’s action suffered a delayed start and change in schedule due to a lengthy rain delay, but it was all action once play got underway.
Harriet Dart confirmed her Wimbledon wild card pedigree, producing the only British singles win of the day in beating Richel Hogenkamp (NED) in convincing fashion 6-3, 6-0.
The other Brits, Maia Lindsey and Katie Swan, lost to No.1 seed Kaia Kanepi (EST) and no.3 seed Luksika Kumkhum (THA) respectively, Lumsden going our 6-3 6-2 and Swan – another Wimbledon wild card – in three sets 4-6 6-3 6-4.
Former 2016 Ilkley Trophy champion Evgeniya Rodina(RUS) came from a set down to beat no. 6 seedNicole Gibbs (USA) 2-6 6-3 6-0, while 2018 Fuzion 100 Manchester Trophy champion and Wimbledon wild card Ons Jabeur carried on her rich vein of form in defeating no.4 seed Viktorija Golubic (SUI) 6-4 6-3.
Ilkley’s no. 2 seed Belinda Bencic withdrew from her opening round match due to injury against qualifierAbigail Tere-Apisah having fallen a set and two games behind.
Three second round matches took place in the ATP Challenger Tour men’s draw today. No.1 seed Jordan Thompson (AUS) was the first quarterfinalist, beating Japan’s Hiroki Moriya 6-2 6-2. He will next face no.8 seed Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) who moved comfortably past Kevin King (USA) 6-4 6-0.
Oscar Otte (GER) also booked his place in the quarterfinal, producing a fine display on centre court and despatching no.2 seed Zurgen Zopp (EST) in straight sets 7-6(3) 6-3.
In the doubles competition, Bencic also retired from her match with partner Bibiane Schoofs (NED), gifting British wild card pair Olivia Nicholls and Gabriella Taylor a place in the quarterfinals.
The other British women’s doubles pair Danielle Daleyand Louise Holtum lost to Natela Dzalamidze (RUS) and Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) (3)6-7 6-3 10-5.
Thursday sees Brit pairing Liam Broady and Scott Clayton – confirmed today as doubles Wimbledon wild cards – return against Ilkley’s no.3 seeds Purav Raja(IND) and John-Patrick Smith (AUS).
The men’s second round concludes with no. 3 seedThomas Fabbiano (ITA) no.5 seed Peter Polansky(CAN) and no.7 seed Michael Mmoh (USA) all in action.
Tickets are still available here:
Men’s Singles results
- J Thompson (JPN) (1) d H Moriya (JPN) 62 62
- Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) (8) d Kevin King (USA) 64 60
- Darian King (BAR) d S Ofner 76(5) 64
- Otte (GER) d Z Zopp (2) (EST) 76(3) 63
Men’s Doubles results
- K Krawietz (GER) / A Mies (GER) d A Molteni (ARG) / M A Reyes-Varela (MEX) (2) 64 76(9)
- A Bolt (AUS) / Jordan Thompson (AUS) A Bury ( / H-Y Peng (TPI)
Women’s Singles results
- (EST)  6-3 6-2 (GBR)
- (RUS)  7-6(3) 6-2 (USA)
- Richel HOGENKAMP (NED) (GBR) 6-3 6-0
- Arantxa RUS (NED)  (RUS) 6-0 6-4
- (USA) 6-0 7-6(3) (ESP) 
- Naiktha BAINS (AUS) (CAN) 7-6(7) 6-2
- (AUS) 6-0 6-3 (RUS)
- (PNG) 6-2 2-0 Retired (SUI) 
Women’s Doubles results
- J Loeb (USA) / S Mestach (BEL) d A Guarachi Mathison (CHI) / E Perez (AUS)  46 63 10-8
- Bibiane SCHOOFS (NED) (GBR) / (GBR) Walkover (SUI) /
- A Muhammad (USA) / M Sanchez (USA) d A Rus (NED) / R Zarazua (MEX)6-2, 6-3
- N Dzalamidze (RUS) / G Voskoboeva (KAZ) d D Daley (GBR) / L Holtum (GBR) (3)67 63 10-5